Followers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Make do: Alternatives to trash cans

Be back soon!
   A project will be taking up all my time for a few days...more about that later.
   Meantime, I'll share something that may look goofy to many but works for me! When I needed a trashcan for our large bath and couldn't find anything I liked in our price range, I started using this old crock. Ended up liking it so well, there it sits still. (We re-use the same plastic liner over and over and over...)
   Found the little metal planter at an antique shop; it works quite nicely as a bin for the bedroom, I think.
   Incidentally, the dresser here is part of that suite Hubby inherited that does nothing for me style-wise. For years and years our bedroom furniture was a mish mash of antiques that I loved but he didn't, so now it's his turn. And the warm walnut wood does speak to me, so I can love that.
   Still in need of a receptacle for another bedroom, to replace a plastic trashcan we came upon sometime. Keeping my eyes open for an interesting alternative for that room.
   Any ideas?

If you stopped by, feel free to leave your link in the comments any time, so I and others may more easily visit your neck of the woods. Such a big, beautiful world out there, and I'm "seeing" more of it thanks to your blogs. Gotta love that!

16 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

I LOVE the crock as a trash can, that is too cute :-)

Joanne said...

I love the idea of using random containers as trash bins. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Lizzie @ her homeworld said...

My bins are mostly wicker baskets from when they were outlawed in schools (fire risk). I worked with the wife of whoever had to dispose of them and paid 49p each for them. Still going strong and I think some are form the 1940's
I love you metal basket. beautiful.
Lizzie

singlemama said...

I had never thought of something like that... good idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the dresser.

Jennifer said...

That is a great idea! Love it and I think that crock looks great as a trash can!

Practical Parsimony said...

I love your two "new" trash cans. I found a wicker trash can and spray painted it. It finally died, so I have a plastic one in the bathroom until I find a replacement.

The cutest wire basket was a quarter at a yard sale. I snapped it up and love it. Last week, I found the identical wire waste basket for $1 at the Dollar Tree.

I like the idea of using a basket, any sort, for a waste basket. How about using a large terra cotta planter you have outdoors or a decorative planter?

Tightwad Mom said...

Genius!! I love bathroom trash can. Crocks are one of my favorite things. They are so versatile. I have a #4 crock sitting next to the dog's dish to store extra dog food. I use them in my kitchen to hold cooking utensils. My mom use to call crocks "Pioneer Tupperware".

Marie said...

That's a great idea!
I sympathize with not liking your husband's inherited dresser. My husband has a clock that...just...doesn't work for me.
And he doesn't like my cow picture...tssss...

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Great idea~ you are so creative!

Trudy said...

Thank you so much for wishing me congratulations on my pregnancy. I will try to get some baby bump pictures posted in the next week or so.

Sherry said...

I have an old crock that is not in use. I use one as a newspaper holder and one as a planter but have not used one as a trashcan. Great idea!

Cooking in Mexico said...

I, too, reuse the plastic bag thrash can liners for as long as they are presentable. And all of our plastic trash bins are from the thrift store. Waste not, want not... :)

Kathleen

Dmarie said...

thanks, you guys. look forward to catching up with what's going on in your worlds!

Anonymous said...

I love the crock...

You know, just changing out the hardware on that dresser could make a huge difference.

- Jazz

Dmarie said...

@haphazard, I would love to do change out those hideous drawer pulls but how would I ever find pulls large enough to cover the area under the existing pulls. I figure the wood underneath the pulls has probably aged less than the exposed wood. ??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...