Followers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Vegetable Frittata

Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Vegetable Frittata, adapted slightly. I modified the olive oil usage only 'cause I failed to read the recipe before roasting the veggies! Still turned out great, tho' I used less oil than the original recipe called for. For the Contessa's original recipe, check out Sidewalk Shoes' blog.
Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Vegetable Frittata was my lazy day choice. Taken from her book I love, love, LOVE: "How Easy Is That?," her frittata was as advertised...soo easy. Her original recipe using 12 extra-large eggs halved easily...soo yummy.
   I have yet to make a recipe of Ina Garten's that wasn't easily adapted to what's on hand yet still better than anything I usually come up with myself to use up "what's on hand."

Roasted Vegetable Frittata
1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices--halved (aiming for bite-sized pieces)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and 1 1/2 inch dice
1/2 red onion, 1 1/2 inch dice
good olive oil, for drizzling
1/2 tsp. Goya Adobo All Purpose Saffron Seasoning (I'm just trying to use up the seasoned salts I have on hand. Contessa uses kosher salt)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
6 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1 green onion, diced (note that I didn't roast these)
1/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese
--To use less energy, I roasted the veggies in the toaster oven @ 425°F for 15 minutes; added the garlic and baked for 10 more minutes.
--Then I preheated the big oven to 350°F.
--In a medium bowl, whisked the eggs, half-and-half, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
--Popped my 10-inch iron skillet into the heating oven with the butter in it. Once the butter melted, I added the roasted veggies and the green onions to the skillet, drizzled it with olive oil then popped it back into the oven for a couple of minutes. Pulled it out just long enough to pour the egg mixture over the veggie mixture, then popped it right back into the oven for 20 minutes, until the frittata was nice and puffed up. Then added the Gruyère to the top, drizzled with a bit more olive oil and baked for another 3 minutes until the cheese was melted. Serve hot.

   Because I didn't have to cook yesterday, being at Mom & Dad's, I had to make today my Meatless Monday. So, this frittata was my meatless supper. Had a green salad for lunch. Baked a loaf of banana bread today too. Thought I'd already shared my favorite banana bread recipe, so I didn't bother to take a pic, but I couldn't find that recipe on this blog just now when I searched. Must share it one of these days, 'cause we love it!
    REALLY need to come up with some easy recipes that don't involve eggs for Meatless Mondays. Any ideas for me??

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious!!

Practical Parsimony said...

Yum, I love the iron skillet, popping in and out of the oven. That seems to save dishes and steps. I love my iron skillets!

Sue said...

That looks so delicious. As for dishes without eggs, sounds like pasta/sauce would be the ticket. I'm sure you can come up with lots of variations using eggless noodles.

Mary said...

I bought two containers of tofu this weekend. Silken and extra firm. I am sure you can think up something to do with tofu!

Mark said...

Ha! I just scarfed down my lunch. Okay, so it was two hours early but I couldn't wait. The point is, you can't tempt me with this dish today.
Your Friend, m.

Unknown said...

For meatless Monday meals try a veggie curry. Sautee some veggies and them mix your curry powder/paste with either yogurt or coconut milk. Remove the veggies from the heat and stir in the curry and serve over rice. For a heartier version add some boiled or steamed potatoes to the stirfry and then add the spice. I use 1-2 tbsp of curry powder and 1/2-1 cup of yogurt for a meal for 2.

Feel free to add ginger, lemongrass, or any other herb/spice to the stirfry. I usually ad some salt pepper and garlic to it and then other spices depending on the direction for the meal. If you want a soup like curry just add more coconut milk or broth. If you like the soupy curry then try it with noodles. Good luck

Dmarie said...

thanks, Mel!
me too, Practical!
@Sue, good idea...I do need to give homemade noodles another shot anyway!
@Mary, I'm going to have to watch you and Susan closely to see if you can teach me something good to do with tofu!
@Mark, I've been ravenous all day...good thinking to eat lunch early. never know what might happen! ;)
@David, I'm a big fan of curries these days...love your idea to use potatoes with the veggies instead of rice. thanks!

alison@thisbloominglife said...

Ok, I'm giving that a go. I think even the kids might eat it! Thanks.

Mary said...

This sounds perfect to me! My meatless meals usually involve either beans or pasta. Salads, burritos, tacos with beans are my go-to meals.

Rachele said...

This looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...