Followers

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wildly Frugal Orange Cake

Yesterday, I came across the wildest orange cake recipe ever. Stumbled across it on Conscious Earth, who got the recipe from Down to Earth, who got the recipe from HERE.
   This recipe was not only incredibly easy to make but also is wildly frugal in that it uses the WHOLE orange. Gotta love that! My version is a slight adaptation of down-to-earth's.
   The organic orange I used was whopping big, so my "cake" really seems more like a slightly sweet, ultra moist perfect-for-breakfast bread. Slightly bitter orange, like imported orange marmalades. Like down-to-earth, I skipped the sugar glaze on top, but most *American sweet tooths will be happier with removing at least half of the pith (zest then remove half of the rind) and using the glaze.
Wildly Frugal Orange Cake
1 whole seedless *orange, skin and all (VERY well washed if not organic)
1½ cups melted butter
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
In a small bowl, sift or whisk the dry ingredients together until fully combined. Process the whole orange in a food processor until well pureed. Add all other ingredients and process until well mixed. Pour into a greased and floured 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" loaf pan. Bake 40-45 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven, until toothpick tests clean.
Optional Sugar Glaze
2½ cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
Orange juice and zest
Mix sugar, butter, zest and just enough orange juice together for a slightly runny consistency. Pour onto cooled cake, letting it run down the sides.
   Sorry I did not manage to get a better pic of the final product!
   A recipe that wastes little to nothing of a beautiful orange and makes the house smell great to boot! What will they think of next?!

9 comments:

Brenna said...

This is great, I am so glad you tried it! Next time, I need to remember the eggs (hehe), and mine will rise as nicely as yours has! Thanks for the link, and I love your space here!

Brenna

consciousearthveg.blogspot.com

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

O my gosh I am totally going to make this! I LOVE that the whole orange is used. Sometime I put small pieces of citrus zest in my garbage disposal to clean it and make it smell nice but I like the idea of making cake with it much better!

Lynda said...

I read your post earlier, ran out to the orange trees picked a bunch, made the cake (yum) and dehydrated the leftover oranges. Thanks for the post...my house smells fandaboulous!

Practical Parsimony said...

When I first saw the bowl of oranges, I wondered how your mixer handled that! NOW, if I only had a food processor! That looks delicious.

Jennifer said...

Looks delicious, as do all of the recipes you've shared here! Now I have 2 recipes to try this week...Your pinapple cake and this one. I think it's going to be a yummy week around here and my guys are going to be VERY happy! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious. I can smell it from here.

Lynn said...

This sounds really good, Dmarie. And how fun that it uses the whole orange. Bet your house smells heavenly :)

Susan said...

Your picture shows how moist the cake is. It'd be nice to have a not so sweet cake recipe like that. A great find!

Anonymous said...

I noticed your recipe has twice the amount of butter as Rhonda Jean's....was that intentional?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...