Followers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buh, buh, buh, Blueberry Crisp


"Shopped" my freezer and found some frozen blueberries that needed to be used. A quick look through my computer files turned up a saved recipe from Saveur Magazine, Issue #51, which I modified slightly by adding the mace. We think this is yummy...and a crisp is soo easy to make, since no homemade pie crust is needed.
   And no, I didn't really eat my dessert by candlelight. Brought this candlestick into the kitchen to clean & burned the wax off the top, so it'd look fresh again.
   Made leftover Garbanzo Pasta Salad into Curried Chicken Soup for dinner...great way to stretch one chicken breast into at least two night's meals.
   Blueberries are just loaded with anti-oxidants and curry is said to prevent Alzheimer's, so I figure we did okay nutrition-wise with this meal. Will add some cooked kale to the soup next time I serve it, so it'll seem different once again.
   Turning leftover pasta salad into soup may be my favorite Leftover-Make-Over! What's yours?


Blueberry Crisp
6 cups (3 pints) blueberries, washed and stemmed
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1 1⁄4 cups flour
2⁄3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. mace (optional) 
Pinch of salt
10 tbsp. cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toss together washed, stemmed blueberries and granulated sugar in a bowl, then transfer to a medium baking dish.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in another bowl. Using two knives, work cold butter, cut into pieces, into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle mixture evenly over blueberries.
3. Bake until berries are bubbling and topping is golden, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with heavy cream spooned over top.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blueberries are my Favorite....Crisps..Pancakes..
Hopefully our bushes will produce more this year:)
~~HUGS~~

Jennie said...

This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Looks good!!

Tightwad Mom said...

What a fabulous idea! I usually toss all the odds and ends of veggies and meat and any starchy food into a casserole.

Lindy Mint said...

That does look amazing, and easy too! I am seriously considering skipping dinner and going straight to make one.

Practical Parsimony said...

Okay, so I am having Blueberry Crisp tomorrow. That may be my lunch...lol. YUM!

BLD in MT said...

Mmmmmm....that looks GOOD! I am baking an apple crisp for friends tomorrow! Crisps really are a wonderful dessert that seems more impressive or complicated than it really is!

Also, I find it so neat turning leftovers into completely new meals. I am still learning to master the skill though as I am fairly new to cooking. Last week I turned rice and veggie stir-fry into chili! It seemed completely unlikely, but it was great!

Amy @ giftofgreen said...

Um, all I can say is YUM!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

It looks so warm and comforting. I bet it would be fantastic with some vanilla ice cream. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your crisp up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...