Followers

Monday, February 13, 2012

Lovin' this Independence Challenge; Laziest 'icing' ever

Lemon Shrimp...yup, this is me cutting down on animal protein. When the folks came back from Florida recently and gifted us with FIVE POUNDS of Royal Reds (oh, yeah!), we divvied the shrimp up into 1/2 pound bags and froze it. Totally resisted the urge to fry up and scarf down a pound of it for dinner the first night. Sadly, eating this sweet Gulf shrimp in smaller lots feels a little chintzy, but I will be happy to have it last longer. We had the leftovers from this tonight, with steamed broccoli added in, along with 1/2 jar of organic baby food peas that I didn't want to give to Grandbaby today since it'd been opened on Friday. (Yes, I hate wasting food so much I'm willing to eat baby food...well, as long as it's heavily disguised.)
HARVEST: Hubby harvested our first mess of kale from the late planting he'd done. Some of it is red kale, a new crop for us. I LOVE kale. What's more, I LOVE the Independence Challenge reminding me to get off my tuchus and go see if any of our winter crops are ready to be harvested.
WANT NOT: Unfortunately, a loved one was in the hospital over the weekend...a hospital two hours from here. Before we and some others hit the road, I tossed a box of Clif bars, bananas and a water bottle into a bag. So, during this family medical crisis, I did not eat any hospital food! (Our dear one is MUCH better and well on his way to complete recovery, thanks!!)
EAT THE FOOD: After getting only about 45 minutes of sleep Friday night, I did not feel like cooking when we got home Saturday night. Didn't want to go out to eat either...too much food in the fridge at home. But comfort food was definitely wanted, so I baked a box mix White Cake and topped it with the quickest, laziest icing ever: 2 cans sweetened condensed milk mixed with 3/4 cup lemon juice then poured over the cake.
WASTE NOT: Scraping out the edges of my powder make-up. I buy and use this powder stuff only for traveling, because it's more expensive than my everyday makeup. I don't want to waste even ONE application!
EAT THE FOOD: Our refrigerator is jam-packed with cheeses that need to be used up (bought before my resolve to eat less animal protein/eggs/dairy). To up the vegetable proteins, I added some freshly harvested, sautéed Swiss chard into the Rotel Dip that jazzed up my mushroom tacos. Didn't take much of the spicy cheese dip to take my vegetarian taco over the top!
Happy Monday!! Anything getting harvested, eaten, saved or wasted in your neck of the woods??

7 comments:

Sherri B. said...

That is amazing that you can get such a lovely frosting from just those 2 ingredients..I must give it a try! xo

Linda said...

I have never made frosting like that. It looks and sounds so delicious.

Amelia said...

Hi Dmarie, happy valentine day.
Your cake topping is amazing, looks delicious too.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a great frosting idea! How yummy!!!

ff said...

I'm glad your loved one is okay! Looks like you're doing great and cooking up amazing things as usual! :)

Unknown said...

That lemon shrimp looks so good!

Melinda said...

I'm glad your loved one is recovering. :) Oh my, I LOVE kale. Honestly, we buy 12 heads each week and have some each day! There isn't anyone who doesn't love it in my home. Can't wait to get some seeds planted... soon! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...