Followers

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Minimal animal protein and dairy for life--can she do it?

Made spaghetti recently with only a 1/4 pound of Italian sausage, and Hubby didn't even notice I'd reduced the meat! Had enough leftovers to make chili, and since it was chock full of black beans, onions and peppers, Hubby didn't even notice that there was VERY minimal meat. Any time I make chili or other casual, stain-producing meals I use our oldies-but-goodies cloth napkins. BTW, Grandbaby serenaded us during this lunch with her baby drum--that girl can jam! ;)
My most recent pot of Potato Soup contained only scant pieces of chicken from the homemade broth made from the carcass of my most recent Roasted Chicken (a variation of this one). Actually, the majority of our meals contain minimal meat, except for the first night of eating a newly roasted chicken or smoked pork loin, for instance. My challenge will be to keep Hubby from eating mega meat on those first nights, to spread the animal proteins even further. Aside from any health benefits, no doubt this challenge will save us money!
Oh, yes, I DID eat my chocolate ice cream with peanut butter mixed in while in my car with a copy of The China Study glaring up at me! The kinda folks who praise this book are impressive, to say the least, including a Nobel Prize winner. Not even finished with the book, I am convinced that eating MINIMAL animal proteins/eggs and MINIMAL dairy is the way to go for optimum health. (Starting right after eating this free ice cream gotten with a previous purchases reward card!)
A BIG Thank You!
Thanks, Yummy Little Cooks, for thinking me Liebster Award worthy! Of course, her lovely, absolutely yummy site would definitely make my short list of the blogs with less than 200 followers that I enjoy immensely. (Never got around to becoming a "follower" of any blog; I subscribe to folks' RSS feeds.) I have a tough time making lists because I hate leaving anyone out, so very many of you edu-entertain me. I will have to name another five very soon!
  1. Yummy Little Cooks (Like my own private cooking school with glimpses into an exotic cuisine.)
  2. Minting Nickels (Dunno how many followers Lindy has, but she makes me laugh while reminding me of my goal to save $$.)
  3. Simply Self Sufficiency (Becky mixes frugal, simple living with preparedness.)
  4. Sue's Garden Journal (When I visit Sue's site, I feel like I'm looking over the shoulder of a master gardener.) 
  5. Living a Little Greener (Bruise Mouse offers a little bit of everything. Always worth a visit.)
   Time to close this post and go read an intriguing article over on Organic Soul's site: Fighting Your Nature Deficiency: Tips for Natural Health. Oh, and I cannot wait to try this recipe over on Seasaltwithfood's site: Baked Potato Skins Pepperoni Pizza. Where are you headed next??

6 comments:

Amelia said...

Hi Dmarie, thank you for visiting my blog and leave a kind comment.

Love the ice cream, delicious.
Congratulation on your award.
Have a nice day.

Melinda said...

When we first became vegetarians, and later vegans, I wondered how I would ever feel full? I thought how could I get full and stay full on fruits and veggies alone? I learned along the way that that was completely a mental misconception and realized that I could indeed feel satisfied all day long. Beans are one of my favorite foods now, and because of this post am now craving a big bowl of hot chili... ;) And I make a delicious vegan ice cream! Giving up meat and meat products never has to mean giving up things you love. Great, now I want ice cream too... ;)

Lynda said...

I've been able to cut our meat consumption by over half this year. I just got tired of spending all that money...and with the droughts and rising feed costs I just know it's not going to be getting better soon. And you are right we don't need all of that meat in our diets. So...1/4 to 1/2 a pound a day...and 2 vegetarian dinners a week. It's working out very well.

Pete said...

Good to eat less meat, I am trying to cut down my family meat intake as well.

Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Cheers!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Is this what you meant when you said that your diet is almost opposite of mine? I have heard of this one; my grown daughter is vegan (and her husband flexitarian/nearly vegan). She has also recommended this book, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

Like so many other things in life, I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all when it comes to dieting. I think finding the right diet depends on your goals, your personal philosphies and your own health concerns. Sounds like you've found one that fits for you. :)

Dmarie said...

@Annie, soo right. definitely no one-size-fits-all. well said!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...