Followers

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake; Want Not: 'Bug Out Kit'

Eat The Food: Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. Broke into the last of my bargain bin almond paste for this recipe. Froze the half not used for another day. That stuff is soo expensive, I can only hope to find it on bargain again.
Plant Something: Hubby's many planted somethings are starting to get a bit spindly. He's never started this big a variety of seeds before, so he went out and bought him a rack just for this purpose! Sure do wish him luck...I think he's having fun with it so far.
Want Not: My in-progress Bug Out Kit. When our loved one suffered a medical emergency a couple of weeks ago, we packed and loaded up PDQ. The incident did make me realize the value of having a quick-grab kit that'd always be ready to go at a moment's notice. Still adding to this work in progress. As we're campers, I'm including things like matches/magnesium fire starter. Hope to toss in a mini-fishing kit, but I understand that in a pinch a safety pin will do for a hook. Also hope to find a mini-sewing kit to add. I'm sure makeup and conditioner wouldn't fit Hubby's idea of emergency preparedness! :)
I'm still having great fun with the Independence Challenge. Anyone else have a Bug Out Kit? Any suggestions for what I might include in mine?

6 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Mmm, that coffee cake looks delish!

No, we don't really have a Bug Out kit. We'll stock our camper soon, and it will stay stocked until we're ready to lock it up for the winter. As for any kind of personal bag o' stuff like you're putting together, I think Shane has a little grooming kit he keeps stocked most of the time. His idea of necessities is very different than mine, so I just let him figure out what goes in it.

For me, since I don't wear makeup or use a lot of lotions/potions, it only takes a few minutes to gather what I need for Kat and myself. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair brush and ponytail holders, deodorant and my meds are just about all we need.

I don't carry a purse, but I keep a few necessities (tissues, ibuprofen, extra migraine meds) and a first aid kit in each vehicle and in our camper.

ff said...

Ohhh! Congrats to him on his seeds! I love your preparedness kit...I need to get a firestarter. And looking good can boost morale! :p

Dmarie said...

@Annie, love the idea of a first aid kit in the vehicles. definitely need to do that!
@femme, so, there IS a logical reason for makeup? love it! :-D

Linda said...

I have a bag in the car with some things. But, I have something packed in the house to cover me as far as deodorant and stuff goes. No logical reason for makeup as far as I can tell. Lipstick does help my lips.

Melinda said...

Cake looks delicious and the plants look like they're reaching for the sun! I usually just throw seeds in the ground, but last year (or the year before?) I tried starting the seeds indoors hoping for a faster yield. Didn't work out too well... this year they're going back in the ground! I wish your husband the best though :)

Dmarie said...

@Linda, I've only kept a few protein bars, blankets and a flashlight in the car, but I'm def gonna have to improve upon that!
@Melinda, Hubby surfed last night and discovered that lack of light is the key to his spindly seedlings. So this morn he jerry-rigged him a light & will soon work on a second. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...