Okay, it doesn't get any better than finding and adapting a recipe to fit your foods on hand. For tonight, I made a strata, which was layered into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish as follows:
- 2 large pieces of stale country bread, cubed
- 1 cooked smoked sausage patty, cut into small pieces, scattered evenly over the bread cubes
- 1/2 peeled, cored apple, cut into cubes, scattered evenly over sausage and bread
- several cubes of cheese leftover from a party (had on hand cubes of havarti with dill & gruyere), scatter evenly over above ingredients
- 3 eggs, beaten, 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup milk, big pinch of dried sage, salt to taste...once mixed, poured over the above items, then sprinkle with freshly ground pepper
bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until set.