Followers

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bittman debunks myth: Is Junk Food Really Cheaper?

   Mark Bittman's article, Is Junk Food Really Cheaper?, in the NY Times references one of my favorite books, David A. Kessler's The End of Overeating, and reminds us that besides NOT being cheaper, junk food is designed to be addictive. Gotta love this statement of Bittman's:
"The alternative to soda is water, and the alternative to junk food is not grass-fed beef and greens from a trendy farmers’ market, but anything other than junk food: rice, grains, pasta, beans, fresh vegetables, canned vegetables, frozen vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, bread, peanut butter, a thousand other things cooked at home — in almost every case a far superior alternative."

4 comments:

Linda said...

That article was a great choice to share. I read it yesterday and was glad someone finally spoke up. I have never thought junk food was cheaper! I do think he underestimates the number of people who do not have access to fresh produce, based on conversations with people who cannot get to produce of any kind. Nonetheless, I am glad he published the statistics.

Sue said...

I've bookmarked the article for reading later---sounds good!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Ditto Sue -- I've got it marked to come back and read later this evening.

Dmarie said...

you guys are so great...I knew I'd be preaching to the choir with that article! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...