Followers

Monday, November 29, 2010

Proof homemade cookies easier than buying store bought

Yeah, saltine cookies are some of the quickest homemade cookies around and very versatile. Much quicker than a trip to the store for a cookie fix...especially since it takes awhile to read the labels looking for cookies without high fructose corn syrup. From a number of recipes on Cooks.com, I modified this batch to suit what I had on hand:
Saltine Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter (I was out of salted, so I added 1/4 tsp. salt to unsalted butter)
1 cup sugar (I prefer brown sugar, but I was out)
1 pkg. saltine crackers

Toppings:
1 to 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (sometimes use 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 peanut butter or butterscotch chips)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used raw almonds, coarsely chopped in the food processor)
1/2 to 1 cup craisins or raisins (optional, not shown here)

   Combine butter and sugar in saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then boil 3 minutes. Meanwhile, place one package of saltines side by side, salt side down, in a single layer in a jelly roll pan...can add a few crackers as needed to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Pour and spread the cooked butter/sugar evenly over the crackers. Sprinkle desired toppings over the top of the hot, coated crackers.

   Place pan in 350 degree oven & bake cookies 15 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes in pan on rack; immediately move to plates, with crackers separated. Beware: leave these cookies too long in the pan and they will harden into one huge, hard to remove cookie!
   Cookies are pictured here in one of my favorite ways to save money by NOT buying cling wrap: a Tupperware pie keeper. Though I am phasing out plastics for storing our foods, foods placed in this container are generally on another dish, e.g., a pie plate or plate.
   I mentioned in an earlier post that I reuse cereal box liners, as a way to NOT spend money on one-time-use cling wrap. Pictured here is my bread rising in the pans, covered with a cereal box liner that had been cut open & then greased. The liner keeps the rising dough from getting stuck to the towel used to cover both loaves as they rise, further preventing their tops from drying out. Sometimes the dough will not much touch the liner paper, in which case, I wipe off any little bits of dough, fold the paper and place in freezer to use yet again; next time it'll already be greased.
  Looking for recipes for homemade cereals (flakes), so one day I'll have to think of a replacement for the cereal box liners!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...