Followers

Monday, July 25, 2011

First official Meatless Monday debuted with Greek Mac and Cheese

I know, I know, when it comes to "eating the rainbow,"
my meal could use more green. I forgot the cukes and onions!
Greek Mac and Cheese, modified to suit ingredients on hand. 
Okay, I managed my first purposeful Meatless Monday. I personally did not eat any meat today, and though I fed cheese sandwiches to the visiting grandgirls for lunch, the DD and Hubby did eat some meat. Hey, gotta change me first, then the world, right? ;)
   For dinner (or supper as we southerners say), we had corn from the garden, deviled eggs (sprinkled with cumin instead of paprika), a fruit salad of cantaloupe, watermelon and nectarine, and my version of a Greek Mac and Cheese I found over on Saveur.com.
     Turned out great...despite all my substitutions/deletions! I sautéed Swiss chard, onions, garbanzos, added 4 ounces of cooked shell pasta and mozzarella, tossed it all in a cinnamon/nutmeg/dill spiced Béchamel sauce, then added a topping of Panko crumbs and feta cheese. The garbanzos let me use less pasta, and we're not big on a lot of cheese, so I reduced the cheeses A LOT, as compared to the recipe.
   The fruit salad was marinated in a somewhat reduced mixture of 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
   The cantaloupe in the fruit salad was left on our porch by a kind neighbor. Gotta love that! Found any nice surprises at your doorstep lately? Hope so!!
When I was driving to town yesterday afternoon, I happened upon this dune buggy...been ages since I'd seen one. I always thought they'd be great fun! Anybody know if that's true?

6 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Does chicken poop count as a surprise on the doorstep? Oh, you said, "nice."

yummylittlecooks said...

If that count, then I always got doggie poop surprise on my gate.....yuks!

Lace up and Walk said...

That's a very interesting recipe for mac and cheese. You've inspired me to move beyond my plain old macaroni and cheese!
When I was a kid we had two dune buggies. Back then we could actually drive them on the dunes at the beach. That's a big no no now for obvious reasons but we sure had fun. That how I learned to drive a stick shift.

Sue said...

My husband had a dune buggy in his younger years.....he loved it. I thought it looked ridiculous--but that's because we lived in the cornfields of Illinois at the time!
:)

Mary said...

I'm going to have to do a meatless monday with mac and cheese!

I have found some empty wine bottles on my porch.....a hint from my neighbor for another bottle of homemade wine I think!

Dmarie said...

hearing from you guys is such fun!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...