Followers

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Breezing by the chains on my way to local joints for happy surprises in food, gifts

Ms. Becky's, Dawson Springs, Kentucky. Hubby was in such a hurry to get to his fried fish that I didn't manage to get a shot showing all of the huge fish fillet hanging off the edge of his plate. And yes, not ashamed to admit I ate a "chuckwagon" sandwich, aka "country fried steak," which is pretty much a fried hamburger. It was a cheat day after all!
Kuntry Kutter, Stanley, Kentucky. We happened upon this sweet little shop one day when out cruising on the motorcycle and have been making our way back ever since. Gifts, antiques and collectibles may be found in the red caboose and in a lovely little shop right beside it at the back of the owner's home.
Jerry's Cajun Café, Pensacola, Florida. Whenever we're lucky enough to be visiting family in Pensacola, we're sure to include a stop at Jerry's Cajun Café. Jerry's HUMONGOUS "Gulfaletta" sandwiches are loaded down with fried shrimp, fish and oysters on New Orleans Gambino's bread then smeared with New Orleans Central Market olive salad. I always buy a jar of the stuff to take home, so we can make our own muffulettas. Guess I should mention that the portions are so large that we split the sandwiches among several people!
Can't remember the name of the joint in Louisville, Kentucky, that served up these Scotch eggs. These sausage-encased eggs were not properly cooked, but now that I know I love the concept, I'm going to try my hand at making my own. I'll let you know when I get around to trying this New York Times' recipe.
Cruisers Classic Diner, Owensboro, Kentucky. Some of the best fried sweet potatoes around! When I say I'm "going to town," I'm referring to Owensboro. With a population of only 55,000+, Owensboro's the biggest town in our region of western Kentucky and folks from Indiana shop there as well. Owensboro lays claim to being the barbecue capital of the world, and people from around the world have enjoyed barbecue at its finest at Owensboro's International Barbecue Festival.
     Anyone else passing up the chains for the local joints these days? Feel free to share a link to your favorite local haunts!

10 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I'm with you on passing the chains and trying the local places. We tried to do that as much as possible on our vacation...with a pretty good success rate, I must say.

That "gulfaletta" looks/sounds amazing!

Al Firdaus lifestile & interior said...

Looks like a great day! love love love fried fish [he would not live long on my plate as well]:)

Warmly
JenMuna

Unknown said...

I`m afraid, that all this fied food is far too kalorific! No wonder the rest of the nations seem to think that the USA is a nation of fat loving people. I would not even be able to bring myself to eat all that in your pictures. Did youy honestly devour all that? Your poor digestive system!

Dmarie said...

*chuckle* we eat healthy more often than not, and we're more likely to eat fried foods when out, because we don't like to clean up the mess in our own kitchen! ;)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so good. Don't you just love cheat days?

Niki said...

We had scotch eggs and deep fried turkey legs last year at a renaissance festival, both were surprisingly good.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh wow everything looks so good.We pretty much always choose local rather than chain. Looks like you all had a great time!!

Practical Parsimony said...

I lived in Owensboro, KY for a few years and went to Kentucky Wesleyan for two years. Do they still have the regatta there?

Brenna @ Almost All The Truth said...

It is amazing how much better the food can get when you skip the chains! Not always healthier, but there are often better choices for those non-cheat days. ;)

Food Glorious Food! said...

I am fascinated with all the great food! Sure you had a smashing time :) Have a great week ahead dear!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...