Followers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

On my mind: Chocolate Malted Peanut Butter Chip Muffins

Dark Chocolate Malted Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
On my mind: sneaking more whole grains into our diet. These muffins do NOT taste whole grain...just wicked good! I only stole one taste, and it is taking ALL my willpower not to eat a whole one of these bad boys 'til cheat day.
   The hubby, the mum, the pop, and the DD seemed mighty pleased and not the least bit guilty eating these muffins in front of me, but don't cry for me, Argentina, some Dark Chocolate Malted Peanut Butter Chip Muffins with my name on them are waiting out in the freezer!
   Anything healthy-ish sneaking into your diet this week?
  Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking 
Dark Chocolate Malted Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
Batter Ingredients:
1 cup (4 ounces) whole barley flour
1/2 cup (2 ounces) white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (2 ounces) unbleached bread flour
3/4 cup (2 ¼ ounces) unsweetened Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup (1 ¼ ounces) malted milk powder
1 cup (7 ½ ounces) packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
1 & 1/4 cups (10 ounces) buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (6 ounces) peanut butter chips
Glaze Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons (2 ¾ ounces) packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ( ounce) malted milk powder
2 Tablespoons (  ounce) unsweetened Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 cup (2 ounces) plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make Batter:
Whisk together the flours, cocoa, malted milk powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until the batter is evenly moistened. Stir in the peanut butter chips. Scoop batter by 1/2 cupfuls into a lightly greased 12-muffin tin.
   Bake in a preheated 375F degree oven 23-25 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
   Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn muffins onto a rack to finish cooling.
To Make The Glaze:
Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat and drizzle over the tops of the cooled muffins.
   Thanks, Rhonda at down-to-earth, for sharing this On My Mind concept. What's on your mind today? Share your link here or on down-to-earth. 

9 comments:

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Oh dear! these look so naughty. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Chocolate seems to be the "in" thing today for a couple of blogs. I'm going to make your cucumber dip today. And on another post of yours, I use real lemon in a bottle too. Lemons seem to go bad too quick. And that cherry pie looks so good! Once (before putting pans under for drips) I put a pie to bake in my oven, went for a walk, and when I came home my oven was on fire! love,andrea

Anonymous said...

Oh My...they look so good....
~~HUGS~~

Rambling Tart said...

Wow - so decadent and rich! :-) I'm increasing my water and fresh veg intake to be healthy this week. :-)

Melinda said...

Lol ~ all we eat is healthy! Today I made some sugar free, gluten free, vegan carob brownies as a treat. My family devoured them with sheer delight!! :) Your muffins look delish, bet you can't wait for cheat day! :)

Practical Parsimony said...

My fist glimpe of that picture made my jaws hurt! That is a good sign,..lol. YUM

Unknown said...

Just the topping makes my mouth water. I bet they're delish! Maa

Tiff :o) said...

Oh my goodness! Those looks delicious!

Sewandthecity said...

I love your muffins and all the nice things you have cooked this week! I can't pick a favourite but that I think the rainbow plate is so summary delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...