Followers

Monday, April 25, 2011

Contemplating waste--well, that and Coconut Chess Pie

  
Caught the documentary Wasteland (movie trailer below) on PBS' Independent Lens last night. Watching folks walking around on literally mountains of trash sure makes me more mindful of every little thing going into the wastebin here at home. Good reminder that throwing it away doesn't mean it's GOING away.
Previously-homemade frozen piecrust
    All the more reason to cook foods from scratch as opposed to buying pre-packaged goods. And this Coconut Chess Pie couldn't be any easier! Just the thing to brighten these gray skies on yet another rainy, rainy day here in Kentucky.
   To my way of thinking, reducing one's trash relies on reducing one's consumption. And though I may never reach the heights achieved over at Zero Waste Home, every day I am working to glean at least ONE unneeded thing from my closets or cupboards.
   I'm working on changing my mindset from 'I need more' to 'I need LESS.' Wish me luck!

Coconut Chess Pie
Chess pies are just soo easy--gotta love 'em!
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar (or less!)
3 eggs
1 cup flaked coconut
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
unbaked 9" pie shell (if frozen, no need to thaw)
Whisk together filling ingredients. Pour into unbaked pie shell; bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for 45 minutes or until set.


10 comments:

yummylittlecooks said...

Hi, this coconut chess pie look yummy.

Dmarie said...

Thanks, yummy! :)

Lace up and Walk said...

I saw that documentary...oh my goodness, we all need to be more aware of what we throw away because it never really goes away. I love cooking from scratch, so much better tasting and it does create less trash. Every little bit helps. I'll be trying your pie soon- it looks so good.

Dmarie said...

Thanks, PB! looks like we're on the same page!

Mayet said...

I just watched the trailer--really interesting. hopefully, I can watch the documentary.

Dmarie said...

hope so, Mayet. stunning to think of so many eking out a living by sorting through trash for recyclables. one of the young women profiled became a picker at age 7! *sigh*

Lynda said...

I work on reducing my waste every single day. I also am working on my family...and they do get a bit irritated! Oh well, I do what's right.

I loooooove chess pie and yours look delicious!

Practical Parsimony said...

You made me so hungry. I don't have coconut. Can I make it without coconut?

Dmarie said...

@Lynda, working at reducing waste every day is what I'm trying to do. I get mad at myself when I forget!
@Practical, I think you could, but might want to reduce the sugar, 'cause it's already a pretty sweet pie. w/o the coconut it might be WAY too sweet!

BLD in MT said...

Reducing my trash has been at the forefront of my mind for the last several months. I started reading the book The No Impact Man and the Zero Waste family blog and it made me realize that despite the fact my lifestyle is lower impact than average I still had a lot I could do. I try to do better every day, which I suppose is all we can do. I will add this documentary to my to-watch list as it seems to have crossed my path at just the right time. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...