Followers

Monday, April 11, 2011

Quest for homemade cracker recipe--by jove, I think I've got it!

Rolling out these Salt and Pepper Crackers, by Sunset Magazine, with Grandgirl2 was such fun.
   She rolled in one direction; I in the other. She was so sweetly dedicated to her direction that I did not have the heart to take over and roll the crackers "paper thin" as directed, so our crackers were a bit too thick.
   But, man, what a crispy cracker!! And soo easy! Rolling them out on the silicone mat made it extra easy to transfer to the baking sheet...cooked them right on this re-usable mat, instead of on one-time-use parchment paper.
   Now, our crackers were overworked a bit, as will happen with small hands, but I still think I've found my cracker recipe. Will know for sure when I roll out and bake the 2nd half of the dough, now in the freezer.
   Making crackers from scratch means less packaging waste, as compared to the commercially prepared crackers. But it also means better, fresher tasting crackers. Gotta love that!
   Raining, raining in our part of Kentucky this morn, but the dogwood tree out our window looks lovely in the rain.  
   Hope you're looking at something lovely yourself right now? As always, feel free to share what's out your window or baking/cooking/waiting to be eaten in your kitchen. People's comments/blogs are my glimpses into other worlds!

10 comments:

BLD in MT said...

I've attempted homemade crackers, but with only moderate success. They were certainly all edible, but not exactly what I was looking for. I imagine there is a learning curve to it though. I will have to try your recipe and see if it fares better for me.

Practical Parsimony said...

I love crackers too much to make these regularly, but it looks like something I would like to try. By the way, how old is the little helper? You may have said before and I missed it.

becky3086 said...

I have some homemade cracker recipes that I have been wanting to try as well, just haven't gotten to it yet.

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

OMG we make home made crackers as well i have a few recipes whole meal , and white ones yummo !!i love them with honey or cream cheese and tomato on top delish :-)

Maris (in Good Taste) said...

These look amazing! Very professional looking!

Unknown said...

I know you have been looking for a good cracker recipe. These look great. Maa.

Dmarie said...

thanks for the feedback, everyone!!
@Practical, G2 is five. :)

singlemama said...

I also make home-made crackers and my little boy loves them...

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Those crackers look great! I've made some non-traditional type crackers and they mostly turned out like a super crisp flat bread.

Annie Jones said...

I'll be giving these a try soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...