Followers

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Could 2011 be my best year yet...starting with semi-scratch banana pudding??

While reading the book Paris Was Ours: Thirty-Two Writers Reflect on the City of Light, compiled by Penelope Rowlands, I came across a story in which the author stated that his year in Paris was his best year ever.
   That line has been haunting me ever since.
   I have a couple of best years ever of my own, and it saddens me to think my best years might be behind me. So, I wondered 'WHAT would I have to DO to make 2011 my BEST YEAR EVER?'
   Do you have a best year ever??? I've got a few ideas, but what do you think it takes to make a year the BEST? Really, help me out here...why shouldn't 2011 be our best year yet?

 As for the Banana Pudding, this is my go-to super-easy recipe for feeding a crowd. As a person committed to reducing packaging waste, I'm kinda ashamed to be sharing recipes that call for packaged products. SO, I will be looking for ways to make these recipes completely from scratch--but still super EASY. Links below for scratch versions of some of the commercial products; I'll be trying these the next time I make banana pudding. Wish me luck!
    
Banana Pudding
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Homemade version on Down-to-Earth)
4-5 bananas
1 box vanilla wafers, reserving a few for crumb topping (Homemade version on SeriousEats)
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding mix (Homemade version on JoyOfBaking)
3 1/2 cup milk
16 oz. Cool Whip (Homemade version on E-How)

Mix the pudding mixes with the 3 1/2 cup milk, as directed on the box. Add the softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix until thoroughly combined and mixture is smooth, creamy and thick. Fold 1/2 of the Cool Whip into the mixture. In a 13"x9" pan, Layer half of the vanilla wafers, then bananas, then half of the pudding mixture. Repeat. Spread remaining Cool Whip on top. Crush reserved vanilla wafers and sprinkle over top of all. Refrigerate.

4 comments:

Lady Laura said...

I'll leave the what to do for 2011 to be the best year question to those that can answer it better than me. But, I know what you mean by reading a simple line in a book and being haunted by it. I so clearly remember reading a book about Princess Diana, and she was asked if she ever thought (as a little girl) that she would end up marrying Prince Charles? She replied "no, not the future King of England, but I always KNEW (key word: knew) that I was destined to marry a man of power and influence. Can you imagine??
That bothered me so much. And I always wonder why so many of the younger generation are so content to settle for guys without jobs, different "baby mamma"s and the such. Why weren't they ever made to KNOW they were destined to marry a man of influence?
Just something to think about.....

Practical Parsimony said...

Ways to reduce packaging for that recipe--use milk, vanilla pudding mix, bananas, and vanilla wafers. Layer and put whole wafers on top. That is how I do it when I don't make it from scratch. Also, powdered milk can be used instead of milk.

My best year--1974 when I was 28. Why?--I was in school fulltime once again, children were 3 and 5, I just figured out/discovered that I had fantastic legs and good figure. At Christmas 1974, I was moved, could not go to school, got pregnant, and threw up for nine months. Bummer on all but getting the baby.

Unknown said...

My best year was a long time ago. Way before I met and married Petal.
That year keeps a little sparkle in my eye ( could that be be a little teardrop too?) Mmmmm...I'm not telling. Maa.

Dmarie said...

@Lady, I'm with you on that, and of course, wish all young girls could know they are destined to be WOMEN of influence!
@Practical, maybe "learning new things" is an important part of a best year ever. (easier than working to get back the body of a 28 year old, eh? ;)
@Maa, love it that you still have that sparkle. Sparkles should always last longer than the tears!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...