Followers

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Quiches are great for using up leftover stuff

Smoked Salmon Asiago Quiche
We've been eating quiches around here ever since I discovered the recipe in my 1976 copy of Laurel's Kitchen. It contained a quiche recipe that is soo easy to adapt to whatever ingredients are on hand. And quiche works beautifully for a minimal meat meal (2 to 3 oz. smoked salmon in this quiche) or with leftover veggies as a vegetarian meal.
   Storming here in Kentucky and looks like we're in for another week of rain/storms to come.
   I'll share my favorite zucchini quiche recipe another time. Care to share your favorite quiche combination?  
   What's cooking over at your place? As always, feel free to leave a link to a post you'd like to share. I'm always looking for new ideas for ways to use leftovers.
   Hope you're having a fantabulous weekend!!

Here is the Laurel's Kitchen recipe slightly adapted:
Basic Quiche Recipe
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup grated cheese
1/4 to 1/2 to 1 cup leftover proteins or veggies
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
pinch freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
sprinkling of ground nutmeg
butter
9" or 10" unbaked pie crust
Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pie shell; then sprinkle with the cooked leftover of your choice. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the cheese and leftovers into the pie crust. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg then dot with butter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1/3 c. liquid (half water/ half vodka) makes 2 crusts easier to handle but still flaky.
I always try to make two pie crusts, 2nd to freeze for later.
Uncooked quiche with dots of butter floating on top.

10 comments:

Lace up and Walk said...

That looks so good...I love those recipes that you can adapt to whatever is on hand.

becky3086 said...

I too love quiche. You can make them with just about any meat, veggie and cheese and they don't take much meat at all. I just use a basic recipe and add whatever meat, veggies and cheese that I happen to have on hand at the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am a Quiche-Faaaan!:) ...nothing better than a delicious Quiche! Thanks for your recipe!
sarah

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

Dmarie...thank you so much for finding my blog...I love yours!!! I am a new email subscriber for you...I love the quiche recipe and what you are doing to your yard...but most of all I hope we will become good blogger friends!!!

Annie Jones said...

I don't use a recipe for quiche, but more often than not, it has ham and cheddar in it. Maybe other things as well. I usually add an extra egg or two; I like my quiche to be pretty firm.

Dmarie said...

thanks for the comments, you guys!! and now I'll go visit you!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Yes they are! I make quiche or soup anytime I'v got a bunch of stuff in the fridge I need to get rid of. :)

Lindy Mint said...

Alright, I was going to make a frittata this week, but maybe you've inspired me to try quiche instead. Thanks for the recipe, I've copied and printed it already!

Sue said...

Did I read right - you use vodka in your pastry????
Why? Can you taste it? I am intrigued, I have never heard of that before
Sue

Dmarie said...

@Spicy & Lindy, nice to see you again!
@Sue, the vodka cooks out/evaporates. can't taste it! Got the idea from America's Test Kitchen, though I don't use their exact recipe. The vodka allows for a moister crust, making it easier to roll out & handle. Cheaper to use only water of course but I'm lazy & want to use the food processor!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...