Followers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ice, Ice baby: Homemade ice cream in January


   Homemade ice cream in January? You betcha! Cheaper than buying the luxury brands; better tasting than the cheaper brands.
   And no need to be perfect...because toppings can be added for extra flavor. In the strawberry ice cream pictured here, my frozen strawberries, once thawed, didn't end up being 3 cups, so the strawberry flavor didn't have as much force as I'd have liked. No problem, I just blended more strawberries with a little water to make a strawberry topping that added all the strawberry goodness needed.
   (Ice looks dirty because of the rock salt we use.)
Easy, No-cook Homemade Ice Cream
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (OMIT for a fruit-flavored ice cream, if you prefer a less sweet ice cream)
1 - 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 pint whipping cream
1 cup sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients. And proceed as indicated for desired flavor below.
VANILLA Ice Cream:
Pour mixture into 1 gallon freezer container; fill freezer rest of the way with whole milk.
CHERRY Ice Cream
Add 1 large jar of cherries, chopped, with juice. Blend into mixture before topping off with milk.
STRAWBERRY Ice Cream
Add 3 cups chopped strawberries, blending into mixture before adding milk
BANANA Ice Cream
Add 6 ripe bananas, blending into mixture before adding milk

NOTE: Any leftover ice cream must be removed from the freezer & left to soften 15 minutes or more before serving. Still experimenting with this recipe to develop an ice cream that will be less icy once the leftovers are completely frozen. Meanwhile, softening & stirring the leftovers takes care of that problem.
   For curiosity's sake, what flavor ice cream calls your name??




7 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

I love homemade ice cream! Your right it definitely tastes better than cheap store bought (and probably healthier, too).

Unknown said...

I`m on a diet, an you`re making my mouth water with this lovely ice cream!

Unknown said...

Try golden syrup! Yummy.... Strawberries have a high water contentso that could contribute to the 'icyness' if there is such a word.:) Anyway I think home made ice cream should be eaten at once!! lol!

Dmarie said...

thanks, you guys. and Maa, just so happens that golden syrup is one of those things in my pantry that I've never gotten around to using, so will definitely give that a try!

Practical Parsimony said...

I only make ice cream on the 4th of July, but you may have converted me! Since I don't make it that often, I make vanilla. Strawberry and peach are two of my favorites. I just use a cheap box of table salt in my ice cream freezer.It works well as far as I can tell. Now, I want ice cream right now.

singlemama said...

I often make icecream out of fresh fuit in summer. I live where peaches grow and I always make 'sorbetto' and marmelade.

but as far as icecream is concerned, I am a little child and love vanilla, banana & (dark) chocolate.

Dmarie said...

I think banana and peach are my favorite homemade ice creams, but if ColdStone Creamery has any dark chocolate ice cream...let me at it!! Good thing they don't make it very often or I'd be broke.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...