Followers

Monday, January 31, 2011

Barefoot Contessa's Chipolte & Rosemary Roasted Nuts...well, sort of...

   I know, I know, who am I to mess with any recipe of the ultimate food goddess, the Barefoot Contessa? However, having accepted the "eat from your own pantry" in January challenge, I had to make do instead of going out and buying the missing ingredients for the Contessa's Chipolte & Rosemary Roasted Nuts.
   Fortunately, the basic premise of her recipe (linked above) is highly adaptable, meaning even my version using pimentón and dried rosemary turned out highly edible. The end result is that we'll be snacking on something healthier than chips around here for awhile.
   While I'm on the subject of nuts, I have to tell you about my little antique food chopper that I thought I'd ruined yesterday. Lucky for me, Hubby and I make a great team--I break things and he fixes them! How was I to know the spring would SPROING if I dared to chop nuts without the li'l wooden disk in the bottom? Hubby had already fixed this for me once before when I'd attempted to chop something hard as rocks, I guess, and he had to weld the little chopper blades back together. Moral to this story is to be gentler on your nut chopper than I am!
   And if you have a minute to satisfy my curiosity, what kind of healthy snack foods are hanging around your house?
Update: These nuts were VERY much enjoyed by the both of us, and they got even better after a few days. I will definitely use the Contessa's recipe as the basis for future variations! 

11 comments:

Jessica said...

I don't snack very often, and we usually only keep fruit, popcorn (we have a Stir Crazy popper), and I have some of the Tofutti ice cream sandwiches in the freezer.

Mary said...

Hmm.. snacks? I've been pretty bad about keeping anything on hand recently. I'm planning on making granola at some point. It shouldn't take long, since I already have all the ingredients. I just have to get up off my duff (and away from my computer, lol) long enough to mix up a batch and pop it in the oven.

Your picture looks delicious!

I also usually try to keep oranges or apples around. We've stopped snacking nearly as much now that I make some form of eggs for breakfast every day, though. It's weird, but I used to get hungry every couple hours, but if I get a bellyful of eggs in the morning, I snack MUCH less.

Unknown said...

Oops, I think I've lost the plot and made a boo.
The nuts look yummy. Can you tell what nuts you've used please? Maa.

Kim said...

I make a version of this too, except mine is cayenne pepper and rosemary and calls for egg whites. It's delicious!
Other than that, we eat a lot of apples, cheese and crackers, hard boiled eggs, and I have to confess...home-made cookies. (mostly for me, not he babies) YUM!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

I hope you get to try the black bean and sweet potato tostada, they are so delicious and really satisfying on a cold day!

Those nuts look fantastic! I love rosemary anything.

Right now I am on a cottage cheese and cracker snack binge and I also have some hard boiled eggs for snacks! Yum :-)

singlemama said...

we don't snack very often. in case we bake an apple cake or something like that.

Practical Parsimony said...

The nuts look delicious and interesting. Snacks--apples, pecan halves, blueberries,oranges, bananas,homemade bread, chocolate chips,cheese and crackers, cheese. I have been snacking too much on the fattening things. Oh, yeah, I ate a chocolate chip cookie mix right out of the bag.I just thought of the pint of ice cream that has miraculously survived for a week, went and got that to eat right now. The chocolate chips are from before Christmas when I was ill and did not bake. Now, they live in a quart jar. I eat about two dozen a day. I will not buy more chocolate if these last a long time. Leftover chocolate chips are a parsimonious way to get my chocolate fix.

Marie said...

Healthy and snacks in the same sentence. Man, you are daring. Huhuhu. I'm afraid I'm no help. Do french cheeses count as healthy?
The nut recipe looks really good. I'm actually thinking of making some for my husband for his birthday: he loves to snack on nuts.

Lindy Mint said...

Those look yummy!

I've been meaning to whip up some batches of two of my favorite healthy afternoon snacks - which also happen to be sweet. Helps so I don't throw candy in my mouth all afternoon.

One of them is a homemade energy bar made with maple syrup and almond flour. The other is a protein muffin made with almond flour & flax, a recipe from the Beck Diet books.

Dmarie said...

uh oh...reading everyone's responses has left me HUNGRY & it hasn't been that long since lunch!

Dmarie said...

@Maa, cashews, almonds, walnuts and pecans are the nuts used.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...